Colour Grading - Component 1

My goal for colour grading this film was to make it dark for most of the shots, except for the dream sequence where the atmosphere is lively and joyful.

I took a test shot and colour corrected it to try and see how colour correction and colour grading works, and then I took some notes (see at the ending of video below) that I should use when I colour grade my film:

I colour graded some test shots to determine what colours I should use with lighting on set and what colours I can add in post-production:


I shall use DaVinci Resolve to colour grade my film, because it is very intricate, therefore giving me more control over the appearance of my footage.

Shower

During the shower shots, I want a silhouette around my character, The Man, to add mystery to him, so that the audience does not immediately realise who the protagonists and antagonists are. To achieve this, I have to create a clear contrast between the shadows and highlights. I also wanted the shots in the shower to be slightly desaturated, to reflect the mundane life of The Man; this is reflected because the fact that the shots are less colourful suggest that the man's life is not abundant and is therefore boring. 

I made 4 different colour grades for the shower sequence to experiment and see how well I can create a silhouette whilst letting my audience see what is in the shot: 



I plan to pick one and desaturate the grades slightly.

Dream 

During the dream sequence, I want a bright, energetic and colourful colour grade, and I want to change the colour of the sky from blue to pink because of the colour's connotation with romance due to its association with the heart (symbol of love); to emphasise how deeply in love both The Man and The Girl are (in the dream).

Dance

During the final dance, I want to keep the setting look dark and make sure that the colours of the lighting (red and blue) are prominent on both characters.


Final Gallery of Colour Grades




Comments

Popular Posts